image of a Prussian Model 1809 percussion musket used by the Ninth Infantry

Converted Prussian Model 1809 percussion musket

During the Civil War the Federal Government and the States purchased foreign weapons to complement domestic pieces. This Model 1809 Prussian musket is one of more than 4,500 such weapons added to the Minnesota state arsenal. The outdated Prussian muskets were used for drill training or for issue to troops far behind the front lines, and many were turned over to civilians after the war. This musket was issued to Hans Johan Johnson, a private with Company H of the 9th Minnesota Volunteer Infantry.

Photograph of Cook’s Bay in Mound c.1950. This is where the Andrews Sisters spent childhood summers. A portion of Maxene Andrews’s ashes were scattered here.

Cook's Bay, Mound

Photograph of Cook’s Bay in Mound, c.1950. This is where the Andrews Sisters spent childhood summers. A portion of Maxene Andrews’s ashes were scattered here.

Photgraph portrait of Joseph Volk in his uniform, including his hat.

Copy photoprint of framed tintype, Joseph H. Volk in his Union Army uniform, Fourth Minnesota, Company C.

Joseph H. Volk in his Union Army uniform, Fourth Minnesota, Company C, c.1864.

Black and white photograph of a combination of cut worms and heat has destroyed the corn on this farm, six miles east of Appleton in Swift County, 1936.

Corn destroyed by cut worms and heat

A combination of cut worms and heat has destroyed the corn on this farm, six miles east of Appleton in Swift County, 1936.

Corn huskers at the Minnesota Valley Canning Company, LeSueur.

Corn huskers at the Minnesota Valley Canning Company, LeSueur.

Corn husking at the canning plant, c.1950.

Corn laboratory, Northrup, King and Company, Minneapolis. Photograph by Norton & Peele, January 12, 1945.

Corn laboratory

Corn laboratory, Northrup, King and Company, Minneapolis. Photograph by Norton & Peele, January 12, 1945.

Corn stalk cutter in field. Photograph by Norton & Peel, April 28, 1950.

Corn stalk cutter

Corn stalk cutter in field. Photograph by Norton & Peel, April 28, 1950.

Corner Second Avenue and Pine Street, showing where buildings have been removed, Hibbing.

Corner Second Avenue and Pine Street, showing where buildings have been removed, Hibbing.

A photograph of a street in Hibbing showing vacant lots where houses had already been removed, 1920.

Cornerstone of the Church of St. Columba

Cornerstone of the Church of St. Columba

Cornerstone of the Church of St. Columba (St. Paul). Photograph by Paul Nelson, June 30, 2017.

Black and white photograph of corporals in military drill squad, 1918.

Corporals in military drill squad

Corporals in the Northwest School of Agriculture’s military drill squad. Top row, left to right: Corporals Isaacson, Nobben, Spokely, Saugen, Gibson, and Cawelti. Middle row: Bugler Mellum, Lieutenant Moses, Captain Bengston, Lieutenant Samuelson, and Sergeant Rubert. Bottom row: Guides Hallgren, Jones, and Lee; and Corporals Arneson and Warner, 1918.

Pages

Subscribe to Multimedia