Former squatters and lumberjacks from the Beltrami Island area in Northern Minnesota. When the land was bought up by the government, this home-Northern Minnesota Pioneers' Home-was established. All these men are over seventy." Photographed by John Vachon for the Farm Security Administration in 1939.
Fort Ripley in the early 1870s. The somewhat taller structure to the rear left is the newly built hospital and headquarters, which replaced the one that burned down in July 1870. The fort’s three six-pounder brass cannons are pointed at the river.