Detail view of a map made in 1685 and 1686 by Jean-Baptiste Louis Franquelin. Lake Mille Lacs (at center left) is labelled as "Lac des Sioux" (Lake of the Sioux), suggesting that the area was known as a home for Dakota people as early as the seventeenth century.
1916 plat map of that portion of the Flats not included in the previous map. Historian Lorraine Esterly Pierce calls the area east of the Robert Street Bridge the Lower East Side. Plat Book of Saint Paul Minn. and Suburbs. Philadelphia: G.M. Hopkins & Co., 1916.
1916 plat map of the Flats, except the northeast portion. The main north-south streets were, left to right, Wabasha, Robert, and State. Plat Book of Saint Paul Minn. and Suburbs. Philadelphia: G.M. Hopkins & Co., 1916.