Color image of Duluth Corner, Drawing of St. Louis County by George Morrison, 1942.

Duluth Corner, Drawing of St. Louis County

Duluth Corner, St. Louis County, 1942. Drawn by George Morrison.

Duluth Incline

Duluth Incline

The Duluth Incline as it appeared with two large cars capable of carrying wagons and teams, crossing Fourth Street at Seventh Avenue, 1892.
Seventh Avenue West and Fourth Street, Duluth

Duluth ship canal being dug

Duluth ship canal being dug

Duluth ship canal being dug, Duluth Harbor, Duluth, 1870.

photograph of a group of uniformed streetcar conductresses

Duluth streetcar conductresses

The Duluth Street Railway hired twenty-one women as streetcar conductors (or "conductresses," as they termed them) in 1918. Some of them posed outside the streetcar barn at Twenty-sixth Avenue West and Superior Street for this photo taken June 21, 1918.

Black and white photograph of a Duluth, Missabe & Northern Railway ore train, Duluth, ca. 1920. Photographed by Louis Perry Gallagher.

Duluth, Missabe & Northern Railway ore train

Duluth, Missabe & Northern Railway ore train, Duluth, ca. 1920. Photographed by Louis Perry Gallagher.

Black and white photograph of a Duluth, Missabe and Iron Range train on railroad bridge west of Two Harbors, ca. 1940.

Duluth, Missabe and Iron Range train

On a railroad bridge west of Two Harbors, a DM&IR freight consisting entirely of ore cars, or jennies, is seen being pulled by a powerful Yellowstone type steam locomotive, ca. 1940. The locomotive behind it was the most recent locomotive acquisition at the time of the photo.

Black and white photograph of the large classification yard and part of the shops complex at Proctor, 1900.

Duluth, Missabe and Northern railroad yards at Proctor

The large classification yard and part of the shops complex at Proctor, 1900.

Color image of the Duluth, Winnipeg & Pacific Depot, Virginia, 2014.

Duluth, Winnipeg & Pacific Depot, Virginia

600 Chestnut Street, Virginia, Minnesota. Photographed by Wikimedia Commons user McGhiever on June 15, 2014. The building was originally used as a depot for the Duluth, Winnipeg & Pacific Railway and was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1913.

Color image of a linen duster worn by a James-Younger Gang member during the Northfield Bank Raid on September 7, 1876.

Duster worn during the Northfield Bank Raid

Linen duster worn by a James-Younger Gang member during the Northfield Bank Raid on September 7, 1876.

Black and white photograph from microfilm of E. D. Childs. Published in the Polk County Journal, December 21, 1899.

E. D. Childs

Photograph from microfilm of E. D. Childs. Published in the Polk County Journal, December 21, 1899.

Pages

Subscribe to Multimedia