A resource for reliable information about significant people, places, events, and things in Minnesota history.
Fort Ripley in the early 1870s. The somewhat taller structure to the rear left is the newly built hospital and headquarters, which replaced the one that burned down in July 1870. The fort’s three six-pounder brass cannons are pointed at the river.
The site of Fort Ripley is within the boundaries of present-day Camp Ripley. The remains of the powder magazine can be seen in the background of this 1950 photo.
Fort Snelling, c.1835. Oil on canvas painting by David Geister, 2006.
Fort Snelling, c.1865.
Oil on canvas painting of Fort Snelling, c.1855.
Lithograph of Fort Snelling made by Seth Eastman in 1833, three years before Dred Scott was brought to the post by his owner, George Emerson.
Oil-on-canvas painting of Fort Snelling. Painted by Alexis Jean Fournier in 1888.
Fort Snelling Chapel, 2016. Photograph by Paul Nelson.
Exterior view of Fort Snelling showing the Round Tower, 1863.
Fort Snelling Hexagonal Tower, 2016. Photograph by Paul Nelson.
Made possible by the Arts and Cultural Heritage Fund through the vote of Minnesotans on November 4, 2008. Administered by the Minnesota Historical Society.
Minnesota Historical Society • 345 W. Kellogg Blvd., St. Paul, MN 55102-1906 (Map) • 651-259-3000 © .