A resource for reliable information about significant people, places, events, and things in Minnesota history.
Oil-on-canvas portrait of Harriet Bishop. Painted c.1880 by Andrew Falkenshield; based on an engraving of Bishop made in 1860.
Walnut sewing table used by Harriet Bishop. Created in 1850.
Engravings of Harriet Robinson Scott (at left) and Dred Scott (at right) that appeared in the June 27, 1857 edition of Frank Leslie’s Illustrated Newspaper.
Harriet Scott at Fort Snelling, c.1837. Oil on canvas painting by David Geister, 2013.
Minnesota "Support Our Troops" license plate featuring Harriet, a bald eagle ambassador from the National Eagle Center.
The Harrington House, c.1875.
Harrington-Merrill house with Harry Merrill standing in the foreground, 1890.
Illustration of a field of wire grass during harvest time c.1901. Originally reproduced in Herbert Myrick's Creating New Industries (Chicago: Orange Judd, 1901).
Hay Creek, south of Red Wing, attracted German-speaking settlers including the founders of Hawkeye Mills. By 1870, eighty percent of Hay Creek township residents were German, the second highest concentration in Minnesota at the time.
Hazel Belvo, George Morrison, and their son, Briand Morrison, c.1978. Photograph by Victor Bloomfield.
Made possible by the Arts and Cultural Heritage Fund through the vote of Minnesotans on November 4, 2008. Administered by the Minnesota Historical Society.
Minnesota Historical Society • 345 W. Kellogg Blvd., St. Paul, MN 55102-1906 (Map) • 651-259-3000 © .