Red Wing's leading quarry owner G.A. Carlson built this 1882 Barn Bluff limestone kiln near the Milwaukee Road's tracks. He wished to facilitate shipments of lime and cement. The kiln, pictured about 1885, still exists.
G.O. Miller's first store in Vasa, the Swedish colony founded in 1853, is the building to the left. Immigrants from Sweden made Vasa the center of their Goodhue County colony. The community retains its Swedish heritage to the present day.
Gale Pillsbury Hilyer, ca.1919. Hilyer was captain of Company C of the Sixteenth Battalion, Minnesota Home Guard and a founding member of the Minneapolis NAACP. Image is from the Minneapolis National Advocate, March 15, 1919.