Red River Carts loading supplies at a trading house in St. Paul, 1854.
The Mississippi River location of Red Wing, the Goodhue County seat, made it an early shipping point for Minnesota wheat. This photo of the city riverfront shows grain barges at anchorage, c.1870.
This late 1860s photograph shows barges along Red Wing's Mississippi River waterfront awaiting wheat for shipment to customers downriver.
This view of Red Wing and the Mississippi was taken the year of its sesquicentennial, in 2007.
Red Wing Iron Works, c.1890. Frances Densmore’s father Benjamin and his brother Daniel started Red Wing Iron Works in 1866. Its financial success allowed the family to support her studies at Oberlin Conservatory of Music.
Red Wing Ironworks built, 2010.
Flour mills and grain elevators overlook Red Wing’s crowded riverfront, c.1900.
Red Wing Sewer Pipe factory employees with some of their wares stacked and ready for shipment, c.1910.
Original Red Wing Shoe Factory, 2010.
Made possible by the Arts and Cultural Heritage Fund through the vote of Minnesotans on November 4, 2008. Administered by the Minnesota Historical Society.
Minnesota Historical Society • 345 W. Kellogg Blvd., St. Paul, MN 55102-1906 (Map) • 651-259-3000 © .