JEM Theatre, Harmony

The JEM, the only remaining movie theater in Fillmore County, first opened its doors at the end of 1935. Although the JEM has had many owners—it even operated for a short time as a bowling alley—for generations it has been a centerpiece of Harmony’s Main Avenue and a community gathering place for entertainment and cultural events.

Bemidji Carnegie Library

For five decades, Bemidji’s public library operated in a one-story, brick-and-stone neo-classical structure designed by Haxby & Gillespie and built in 1909. It is a well-preserved example of the libraries throughout Minnesota—and the United States—that were financed by Andrew Carnegie.

Ames-Florida-Stork House

The Ames-Florida-Stork House was completed in 1861 on the banks of the Crow River in Rockford, Minnesota, and was listed on the National Historic Register in 1979. In 1986 the house was sold to the City of Rockford, and the Rockford Area Historical Society was organized to manage the house as a museum. The historical society also runs historical programs, hosts on-site events, and preserves related archives.

Ravine House (Daniel Dayton House)

The Ravine House (Daniel Dayton House), three-and-a-half miles northwest of Harmony, was an overnight stop on the Dubuque–St. Paul Trail, a frontier mail and stagecoach route through Iowa and Minnesota.

Solomon G. Comstock House

The Solomon G. Comstock House is a Queen Anne/Eastlake-style Victorian home that was built by one of the city of Moorhead’s first citizens, Solomon G. Comstock, in the years 1882–1883. It is a historic house museum and one of the twenty-six historic sites owned by the Minnesota Historical Society.

Beltrami County Courthouse

The Beltrami County Courthouse, located at 619 Beltrami Avenue in Bemidji, is a three-story red brick and sandstone structure in the Beaux Arts style and the county’s most imposing example of public architecture.

Chief Theatre (Paul Bunyan Playhouse), Bemidji

The Chief Theatre, the primary movie theater in downtown Bemidji, opened in 1937 and operated until 1991. In 1992, it became the home of the Paul Bunyan Playhouse as well as the venue of Bemidji Communty Theatre.

Minnesota and International Railway Trestle Bridge, Blackduck

The Minnesota and International railway trestle bridge at Blackduck is historically significant for its method of construction and the length of timber required to span Coburn Creek and the surrounding marsh. It is the longest bridge on the former Minnesota & International Railway (M & I) and widely recognized as the railway’s most difficult bridge-building project.

Church of St. Columba, St. Paul

The Church of St. Columba in St. Paul’s Hamline-Midway neighborhood is the only Minnesota work by the Chicago architect Francis Barry Byrne. Architectural historian and critic Larry Millett calls it “a high point of modern church architecture in the Twin Cities.”

Hudson’s Bay Company Trading Post, Georgetown

In 1859, the Hudson’s Bay Company built a trading post and steamboat landing near the meeting point of the Red and Buffalo Rivers in Minnesota. They named the post and the surrounding town Georgetown. The traders left the post during the US–Dakota War of 1862 but returned when the war ended. When the Northern Pacific and other railroad companies built lines through Clay County in the 1870s, the Hudson’s Bay Company abandoned its post at Georgetown.

Pages

Subscribe to RSS - Structure