Black and white photograph of a view of La Pointe with Bayfield in the distance, 1875.

View of La Pointe with Bayfield in the distance

View of La Pointe with Bayfield in the distance, 1875.

Black and white photograph of an Indian Congregation, Sawyer, Fond du Lac Reservation, 1909–1912.

Indian Congregation, Sawyer, Fond du Lac Reservation

Indian Congregation, Sawyer, Fond du Lac Reservation, 1909–1912.

Black and white photograph of Ojibwe at Grand Portage Reservation, 1885.

Ojibwe at Grand Portage Reservation

Ojibwe at Grand Portage Reservation, 1885.

Color map of Indian Land Cessions and Reservations in Minnesota to 1858

Indian Land Cessions and Reservations to 1858

Map of the lands within Minnesota Territory ceded by American Indians by 1858. Reproduced in Making Minnesota Territory, 1849–1858 (St. Paul: Minnesota Historical Society Press, 1999), page 7.

Black and white photograph of annuities being paid at the Fond Du Lac reservation, c.1865.

Annuities being paid at the Fond Du Lac reservation

Annuities being paid at the Fond Du Lac reservation, c.1865.

Treaty of La Pointe, 1854

The second Treaty of La Pointe (1854) ceded most Ojibwe land on the northern and western shores of Lake Superior to the U.S. government. It also established the Grand Portage and Fond du Lac reservations. In exchange, the Ojibwe received annual payments and a guarantee that they could continue to hunt and fish throughout this territory.

Black and white photograph of St. John's Church at Indian agency near Morton

St. John's Church at Indian agency near Morton

This Episcopal Church was under construction at the Agency under the direction of Reverend Samuel Hinman when the U.S.-Dakota War of 1862 began. It was destroyed during the war.

Black and white photo print of Dakota Indian Treaty Delegation, c.1858.

Dakota Indian Treaty Delegation

Dakota Indian Treaty Delegation, c.1858. It was during these negotiations that the Dakota were forced into ceding half of their land along the Minnesota River.

Color image of the Lower Sioux Agency Warehouse, 2012

Lower Sioux Agency Warehouse

The Lower Sioux Agency warehouse, 2012. Photographed by Wikimedia Commons user McGhiever on August 31, 2012.

Lower Sioux Agency

The Lower Sioux Agency, or Redwood Agency, was built by the federal government in 1853 near the Redwood River in south-central Minnesota Territory. The Agency served as an administrative center for the Lower Sioux Reservation of Santee Dakota. It was also the site of key events related to the U.S.-Dakota War of 1862.

Pages

Subscribe to RSS - American Indians