A resource for reliable information about significant people, places, events, and things in Minnesota history.
Olaf Lee House designed in 1905, at 955 Jessie St., Clarence Johnston’s only house on St. Paul’s East Side. Photograph by Paul Nelson, September 26, 2014.
Susan Welch House designed in 1894, at 785 Dayton Ave., St. Paul. Photograph by Paul Nelson, September 26, 2014.
Laurel Terrace rowhouse, 294-296 Laurel Ave., St. Paul designed in 1887. Photograph by Paul Nelson, September 7, 2014.
John Cameron House designed in 1918, 9 Benhill Rd., St. Paul. Photograph by Paul Nelson, October 5, 2014.
Clarence Johnston’s first Summit Avenue house, designed in 1883: the Addison Foster house at 490 Summit. Photograph by Paul Nelson, September 27, 2014.
The oldest surviving Clarence Johnston house, and one of the most modest, 525 Holly, St. Paul. Photograph by Paul Nelson, September 28, 2014.
University Avenue Congregational Church designed in 1907. Despite its name, the address is 507 Victoria, between University and Sherburne, in Frogtown. Photograph by Paul Nelson, October 14, 2014.
William Lang House, 6 Crocus Hill, St. Paul built in 1935. This was Clarence Johnston’s last-known house. Photograph by Paul Nelson, September 26, 2014.
Ah-Gwah-Ching, the state sanatorium for consumptives, c.1950. Clarence Johnston designed buildings for this institution between 1905 and 1931.
Northrop Auditorium, at the head of Northrop Mall, University of Minnesota Minneapolis campus, 1940.
Made possible by the Arts and Cultural Heritage Fund through the vote of Minnesotans on November 4, 2008. Administered by the Minnesota Historical Society.
Minnesota Historical Society • 345 W. Kellogg Blvd., St. Paul, MN 55102-1906 (Map) • 651-259-3000 © .