A resource for reliable information about significant people, places, events, and things in Minnesota history.
University Avenue Congregational Church designed in 1907. Despite its name, the address is 507 Victoria, between University and Sherburne, in Frogtown. Photograph by Paul Nelson, October 14, 2014.
William Lang House, 6 Crocus Hill, St. Paul built in 1935. This was Clarence Johnston’s last-known house. Photograph by Paul Nelson, September 26, 2014.
Ah-Gwah-Ching, the state sanatorium for consumptives, c.1950. Clarence Johnston designed buildings for this institution between 1905 and 1931.
Northrop Auditorium, at the head of Northrop Mall, University of Minnesota Minneapolis campus, 1940.
Home for the Friendless on St. Paul’s Railroad Island, c.1933. Clarence Johnston designed this building in 1883. The site is now Eileen Weida Park.
Stonebridge, c.1932. Designed by Clarence Johnston in 1914.
Glensheen, c.1930. Clarence Johnston designed the mansion in 1905.
Williams Arena c.1929, soon after completion.
The William Merriam house at 25 University Avenue, c.1888. The house was Clarence Johnston’s first commission (1882). It was destroyed by fire in 1895.
Clarence Johnston, c.1919.
Made possible by the Arts and Cultural Heritage Fund through the vote of Minnesotans on November 4, 2008. Administered by the Minnesota Historical Society.
Minnesota Historical Society • 345 W. Kellogg Blvd., St. Paul, MN 55102-1906 (Map) • 651-259-3000 © .