J. Walter Stevens’ competition entry for the Germania Bank, 6 West Fifth Street, St. Paul. Reproduced in Jeffrey A. Hess and Paul Clifford Larson, St. Paul’s Architecture (Minneapolis: University of Minnesota Press, 2006), 56.
A design sketch by Harvey Ellis for the interior of a bank, probably the Germania. The sketch was published in Western Architect (February 1904) and reproduced in Minnesota History 40, no. 3 (Fall 1966): 101.
Since 1890, the tall brownstone building at the corner of Fifth and Wabasha has been a symbol of resilience in a changing world. Only ten years after building it, the Germania Bank was forced to liquidate. Renamed the Ernst Building, then the Pittsburgh Building, it finally became the St. Paul Building in 1934.
Balloon-frame cottage on Isle Royale used by Arthur C. and Mary Hunt Andrews and their children, including Frances Andrews, in the early twentieth century. Photographed in 2011. Used courtesy of Isle Royale National Park.