Black and white photograph depicting construction of the conservatory, ca. 1915.

Conservatory construction

Conservatory construction, ca. 1915.

Black and white photograph of construction workers in front of the conservatory, ca. 1915.

Construction workers in front of the conservatory

Construction workers in front of the conservatory, ca. 1915.

Black and white photograph showing construction of the conservatory, ca. 1915.

Construction of the conservatory

Construction of the conservatory, ca. 1915.

Black and white photograph of the Palm Dome interior, 1918.

Palm Dome interior

Palm Dome interior, 1918.

Black and white photograph of the Conservatory exterior, ca. 1916. Photograph by William J. Hosted.

Conservatory exterior

Conservatory exterior, ca. 1916. Photograph by William J. Hosted.

Marjorie McNeely Conservatory (Como Park Conservatory)

The conservatory at Como Park in St. Paul, which opened on November 7, 1915, is a well-maintained example of a Victorian greenhouse. While many similar “crystal palaces” have been torn down, St. Paul’s conservatory has remained a center for horticulture, recreation, and education for over a century.

Color image of the former Northwest Bell Building in St. Paul, which features Morton gneiss, 2016. Photograph by Paul Nelson.

The former Northwest Bell Building in St. Paul

The former Northwest Bell Building in St. Paul, which features Morton gneiss, 2016. Photograph by Paul Nelson.

Color image of the front façade of the Ecolab building in St Paul, 2016.

Front façade of the Ecolab building in St Paul

Front façade of the Ecolab building in St Paul, 2016. The lower third is Morton gneiss. Photograph by Paul Nelson.

Color image of Morton gneiss used on the façade of the West Publishing Company building in St. Paul, 2016. Photograph by Paul Nelson.

Close-up of Morton gneiss

Close-up of Morton gneiss used on the façade of the West Publishing Company building in St. Paul, 2016. Photograph by Paul Nelson.

Graham Hall campus, ca. 1909.

Graham Hall campus

These three residential buildings comprised the campus of Graham Hall from 1902–1915. They were located on First Avenue in Minneapolis, just south of downtown, between Eighteenth and Nineteenth Streets. Image is from the Graham Hall annual catalog, 1909–1910.

Pages

Subscribe to RSS - Architecture