Black and white photograph of the Quadriga created by French for the Columbian Expo in Chicago, 1893.

Quadriga created by French for the Columbian Expo in Chicago

Quadriga created by French for the Columbian Expo in Chicago, 1893.

Black and white photograph of Edward Clark Potter, c.1899.

Edward Clark Potter

Edward Clark Potter, c.1899.

Black and white photograph of Daniel Chester French, 1902. Photographed by James E. Purdy.

Daniel Chester French

Daniel Chester French, 1902. Photographed by James E. Purdy.

Black and white photograph of men posed at the Quadriga, c.1913. Photographed by Earl Conrad.

Men posed at the Quadriga

Men posed at the Quadriga, c.1913. Photographed by Earl Conrad.

Black and white photograph of workers removing the gold leaf on the Quadriga at the Minnesota State Capitol, St. Paul, 1949.

Removing the gold leaf on the Quadriga

Removing the gold leaf on the Quadriga at the Minnesota State Capitol, St. Paul, 1949. Photographed by Minneapolis Star Journal Tribune.

Color image of the Quadriga, c.1986. Photographed by Bob Firth.

The Quadriga

Quadriga, c.1986. Photographed by Bob Firth.

Black and white photograph of the Quadriga encased in scaffolding during application of gold leaf, 1979. Photographed by Elizabeth M. Hall.

Quadriga encased in scaffolding during application of gold leaf

Quadriga encased in scaffolding during application of gold leaf, 1979. Photographed by Elizabeth M. Hall.

Black and white photograph of the Quadriga, Daniel C. French and Edward C. Potter, sculptors, c.1907.

Quadriga, Daniel C. French and Edward C. Potter, sculptors

Quadriga, Daniel C. French and Edward C. Potter, sculptors, c.1907.

Quadriga: "The Progress of the State" (1906)

A gilded quadriga sculpture group titled "The Progress of the State" stands like a sentinel over the front façade of the Minnesota State Capitol. Architect Cass Gilbert commissioned Daniel Chester French, best known for the Lincoln Memorial in Washington, D.C., to do the work. He sculpted the chariot and human figures, and animal sculptor Edward Clark Potter created the horses. The Quadriga (Latin for "four-horse chariot") has greeted Capitol visitors since its installation in December 1906.

Color composite image of “Native Girl Lost,” a four-panel painting by Chicano artist Jimmy Longoria. The painting was created and installed in 2015 as a direct-contact inkjet original in the offices of the Bush Foundation in St. Paul.

"Native Girl Lost"

Composite image of “Native Girl Lost,” a four-panel painting by Chicano artist Jimmy Longoria. The painting was created and installed in 2015 as a direct-contact inkjet original in the offices of the Bush Foundation in St. Paul.

Pages

Subscribe to RSS - Arts