Baptiste Lasallier, Ho-Chunk leader with Charles Mix, Indian Agent, and a trade merchant, 1857.

Baptiste Lasallier, Ho-Chunk leader with traders

Baptiste Lasallier, Ho-Chunk leader with Charles Mix, Indian Agent, and a trade merchant, 1857.

Color image of the Jefferson Grain Warehouse, Houston County, c.1994.

Jefferson Grain Warehouse

Jefferson Grain Warehouse, Houston County, c.1994.

Jefferson Grain Warehouse

In 1868 the grain trade in Minnesota was growing, but few railroads existed in the state. Steamboats were the supreme mode of transportation. William Robinson built a grain warehouse on the banks of the Mississippi to take advantage of the steamboat traffic. Shortly afterward the town of Jefferson was plotted. In a few years, however, the railroad came through, and a larger town was platted to the south. The Jefferson Grain Warehouse quickly became obsolete.

Watercolor on paper of the office of the St. Paul Pioneer and Democrat newspaper as the building appeared in 1858.

Office of the St. Paul Pioneer and Democrat

Watercolor on paper of the office of the St. Paul Pioneer and Democrat newspaper as the building appeared in 1858.

Color image of the Universal Laboratories Building, 2009.

Universal Laboratories

Universal Laboratories Building, 2009.

Universal Laboratories, Dassel

The Universal Laboratories building played a key role during World War II by ensuring that the United States had an adequate domestic supply of the essential crude drug ergot. As war threatened to cut off imported supplies of crude ergot, Universal Laboratories developed an effective collecting and processing operation in Dassel.

Photograph of Smith and a client at the Olive Hair Store, 1913.

Lena Olive Smith and client at Olive Hair Store, Nicollet Avenue, Minneapolis

Smith owned the Olive Hair Store, before becoming an attorney, 1913.

Black and white photograph of the interior of the St. Paul Commercial Club in the Commerce Building, 1912.

Interior view, Commercial Club, in Commerce building

Interior of the St. Paul Commercial Club in the Commerce Building, 1912.

Pages

Subscribe to RSS - Business and Industry