Minnesota Historical Society M-Flame Logo

Smith, Alice Gustava (Sister Maris Stella) (1899–1987)

Alice Gustava Smith, better known by her students and readers as Sister Maris Stella, taught English at the College of St. Catherine (now St. Catherine University) in St. Paul for nearly fifty years. During that time she also published books of verse that built her reputation as a skilled and spiritual poet.

Color image of Firefighter monument, 2014.

Firefighter monument

Photograph of a memorial to fallen firefighters erected by the Board of Fire Commissioners in St. Paul’s Oakland Cemetery in 1891. Photographed by Paul Nelson on April 25, 2014.

Color image of Norman Kittson monument, 2014.

Norman Kittson monument

The tombstone of fur trader and entrepreneur Norman Kittson in St. Paul’s Oakland Cemetery. Photographed by Paul Nelson on April 20, 2014.

Color image of Alexander Ramsey monument, 2014.

Alexander Ramsey monument

The tombstone of Minnesota governor Alexander Ramsey and his wife, Anna Earl Ramsey, in St. Paul’s Oakland Cemetery. Photographed by Paul Nelson on April 20, 2014.

Oakland Cemetery, St. Paul

Founded in 1853, Oakland is Minnesota’s oldest public cemetery and a gathering place, in death, of people from the full range of St. Paul history, from the city's founders to recent immigrants. It is also a place of beauty.

Ada Village Hall

The Ada Village Hall served as the center for local government in Ada for over a century. It was an important public meeting hall and social facility through the 1970s. Architecturally, the building is an excellent example of the combined city hall and fire hall buildings that were constructed in Minnesota during the early 1900s.

1940 Marlborough Hotel Fire

This video includes images from the Minneapolis, St. Paul, and Edina Newspaper Photographs Collection at the Minnesota Historical Society. The narration is taken from, "4 Missing in Hotel Fire, 18 Dead, Fireman Search All Night Among Ruins." Minneapolis Morning Tribune, January 4, 1940. Video produced by Horacio DeVoto.

Black and white photograph of the St. Peter Armory, 1921.

St. Peter Armory

St. Peter Armory, 1921.

Color image of the St. Peter Armory, c.1997.

St. Peter Armory, Nicollet County

St. Peter Armory, c.1997.

St. Peter Armory

The St. Peter Armory was the first state-owned armory built in Minnesota. Architecturally, the structure is an excellent example of Minnesota's so-called "early period” armories, all of which predate World War I. The building is also important because it served as a center of military and social affairs in St. Peter.

Pages

Subscribe to RSS - Cities and Towns