A resource for reliable information about significant people, places, events, and things in Minnesota history.
Zumbrota's Main Street, c.1925. The community was founded in 1856 during Minnesota territorial period by a New England emigration society.
A view of Sogn and Sogn Valley south of Cannon Falls, shows the small trading point, c.1910. Farmers formed the Sogn Cooperative Dairy Association here, one of the county's most successful cooperatives, in 1899.
Kenyon's Farmers State Bank and City Hall, c.1910. Kenyon, in Goodhue County's southwest corner, is located in became a center for Norwegian settlement.
A view of Red Wing's crowded riverfront with Barn Bluff in the background, c. 1910. Levee Park, completed in 1905, occupies this space today.
The Mississippi River location of Red Wing, the Goodhue County seat, made it an early shipping point for Minnesota wheat. This photo of the city riverfront shows grain barges at anchorage, c.1870.
This view of Red Wing and the Mississippi was taken the year of its sesquicentennial, in 2007.
In March 1853 Goodhue County was created by Minnesota's territorial legislature. It was formed from the original Wabasha County, which lay between the Mississippi and Missouri Rivers.
This aerial view shows The Parade after the Minneapolis Sculpture Garden was expanded and the softball field was moved (foreground) to replace the demolished stadium.
Aquatennial Parade Grand Marshal Richard M. Nixon departs Parade Stadium on the parade route, 1958. Photograph by Philip C. Dittes.
Filming an Aquatennial event at Parade Stadium, August 10, 1956.
Made possible by the Arts and Cultural Heritage Fund through the vote of Minnesotans on November 4, 2008. Administered by the Minnesota Historical Society.
Minnesota Historical Society • 345 W. Kellogg Blvd., St. Paul, MN 55102-1906 (Map) • 651-259-3000 © .