The East Side Pumping Station was built on Hennepin Island in c.1885.
In 1871 Minneapolis built the first public waterworks in Minnesota to pump water from the Mississippi River. The city's attempts to provide clean, safe water led to decades of efforts to improve and expand the waterworks.
Houses in their new places, 1920.
A photograph of a street in Hibbing showing vacant lots where houses had already been removed, 1920.
Moving the Oliver Mining Company Clubhouse, 1920. This structure was so large that it had to be cut into two pieces to make the move.
Moving the old village market, 1919.
Frank Dear's residence being moved, 1920.
Moving a church, 1920.
A house being moved, 1919.
One of the largest moves, the Colonial Hotel, 1920. Note the steam crawler directly in front of the hotel.
Made possible by the Arts and Cultural Heritage Fund through the vote of Minnesotans on November 4, 2008. Administered by the Minnesota Historical Society.
Minnesota Historical Society • 345 W. Kellogg Blvd., St. Paul, MN 55102-1906 (Map) • 651-259-3000 © .