Aerial photograph by R.E. Nielsen of St. Paul's Central Park, c.1955. The scuffed open space is the much-degraded Central Park. Near the top, the Minnesota Historical Society and Mechanic Arts High School.
Looking northwest across the park, c.1900. The turreted house near the center is, or are, the Hardenbergh and Blood mansions, a double house designed by Clarence H. Johnston. To the right, at the north end of the park is the Uri Lamprey house, which predated the park. The west wing Minnesota Judicial Center now occupies that site.
St. Paul's Central Park began in 1885 as an amenity for a new, upscale neighborhood north of the business district. As the city around it changed, so did the park; by the 1930s it had become a playground and meeting place for children and students. In 1975, it became a parking ramp.