St. Joseph’s Academy traces its origins to 1851, when the first Sisters of St. Joseph opened a school for girls in a log cabin on the banks of the Mississippi. One hundred and twenty years later, the final St. Joseph’s Academy High School closed its doors. Today, its buildings on Marshall and Western Avenues are on the National Register of Historic Places and still in use.
Two boys playing ping pong at the Jewish Educational Center Annex while a group of children looks on, 1940. In 1936, the J. E. C. annexed an adjacent home to be used for children's groups and arts and crafts classes. The annex was closed in 1940 and activities shifted to Mt. Zion and Temple of Aaron.