Early schools in Minnesota were one-room schoolhouses. The first school in Carver County, built in 1855, was one of these. It became part of the first school district in Minnesota, Public School District #1 in Carver, which was formed in 1856.
Side view of St. Bernard's Church in Cologne taken in the spring of 1999. The church's school can be seen on the right side of the image. Photograph Collection, Carver County Historical Society, Waconia.
St. John's Lutheran Church and School at 300 4th Street East in Chaska. The church is the long, three-story building; the church is on its far right side. Note the steeple at the far right of the church. Photograph collection, Carver County Historical Society, Waconia.
Early schools in Carver County were typical of those found in nineteenth-century Minnesota. Schools were small then and grew out of the community's desire to educate local children. They were often held in the same building as the church or town meeting hall, and had ties to both. For this reason, they were not clearly public or private.