St. Joseph’s Academy, St. Paul

St. Joseph’s Academy traces its origins to 1851, when the first Sisters of St. Joseph opened a school for girls in a log cabin on the banks of the Mississippi. One hundred and twenty years later, the final St. Joseph’s Academy High School closed its doors. Today, its buildings on Marshall and Western Avenues are on the National Register of Historic Places and still in use.

Black and white photograph of Edward F. Waite posed with students at Waite Park School, c.1955.

Edward F. Waite posed with students at Waite Park School

Edward F. Waite (first row, center right) posed with students at Waite Park School, c.1955. Photograph by Newburg Studio.

Black and white photograph of the exterior of the Emanuel Cohen Memorial Center at 1701 Oak Park Avenue in Minneapolis, c.1940.

Emanuel Cohen Center, 1701 Oak Park Avenue, Minneapolis

The exterior of the Emanuel Cohen Memorial Center at 1701 Oak Park Avenue in Minneapolis, c.1940. Photograph by the Minneapolis Star Journal Tribune.

Black and white photograph of the exterior of the Emanuel Cohen Memorial Center at 909 Elwood Avenue in Minneapolis, 1925.

Emanuel Cohen Memorial Center, 909 Elwood Avenue, Minneapolis

The exterior of the Emanuel Cohen Memorial Center at 909 Elwood Avenue in Minneapolis, 1925.

Black and white photograph of the Emanuel Cohen Center pre-Kindergarten graduating class, 1955.

Emanuel Cohen Center pre-Kindergarten graduating class

Graduates of a pre-Kindergarten class of the Emanuel Cohen Center pose for a group portrait in front of the ECC building, 1955.

Black and white photograph of staff of the Emanuel Cohen Center in Minneapolis, 1948.

Staff at the Emanuel Cohen Center, Minneapolis

Staff of the Emanuel Cohen Center in Minneapolis, 1948.

Exterior view of Wilkommen Heritage and Preservation Society of Norwood Young America

Wilkommen Heritage and Preservation Society of Norwood Young America.

Exterior view of Wilkommen Heritage and Preservation Society of Norwood Young America, 2013. Photograph by LaVonne Kroells.

Black and white photograph of the playground at the Jewish Educational Center in St. Paul, 1946.

Playground at the Jewish Educational Center, St. Paul

The playground at the Jewish Educational Center in St. Paul, 1946.

Photograph of a sewing class at the Jewish Educational Center in St. Paul, 1945.

Sewing class at the Jewish Educational Center, St. Paul

A sewing class at the Jewish Educational Center in St. Paul, September 20, 1945. The class was sponsored and staffed by the Jewish Servicemen's Wives Club.

Black and white photograph of two boys playing ping pong at the Jewish Educational Center Annex while a group of children looks on, 1940.

Ping Pong game at the Jewish Educational Center Annex, St. Paul

Two boys playing ping pong at the Jewish Educational Center Annex while a group of children looks on, 1940. In 1936, the J. E. C. annexed an adjacent home to be used for children's groups and arts and crafts classes. The annex was closed in 1940 and activities shifted to Mt. Zion and Temple of Aaron.

Pages

Subscribe to RSS - Education