Following the death of her husband and their only child, Julia Bullard Nelson of Red Wing, Minnesota bravely headed south to Texas in 1869 to teach former slaves in U.S. government-backed Freedmen's Bureau schools. Nelson spent the summers of the 1870s and 1880s in Minnesota, where she emerged as a state and national leader in the movement for women's suffrage and the temperance campaign against alcohol use.
Photograph of Mayer public school (District #73), c.1895. Teacher Thomas Burns stands with his students outside the one-room schoolhouse. Photograph Collection, Carver County Historical Society, Waconia.
Photograph of the first schoolhouse in Carver County (in Chanhassen Township), c.1855. At the time, the school's teacher was Susan Hazeltine. Photograph Collection, Carver County Historical Society, Waconia.
Early schools in Minnesota were one-room schoolhouses. The first school in Carver County, built in 1855, was one of these. It became part of the first school district in Minnesota, Public School District #1 in Carver, which was formed in 1856.