Sister Irmina Kelehan (bottom left) and other Sisters of St. Joseph setting sail for Japan, 1956. Photographed by Don Bosco. Image used courtesy of the archives of the Sisters of St. Joseph of Carondelet, St. Paul Province.
Engraving made in 1863 of the exterior of St. Joseph’s Academy. Image reproduced by Claussen's Studio of St. Paul and used courtesy of the archives of the Sisters of St. Joseph of Carondelet, St. Paul Province.
St. Joseph’s Academy traces its origins to 1851, when the first Sisters of St. Joseph opened a school for girls in a log cabin on the banks of the Mississippi. One hundred and twenty years later, the final St. Joseph’s Academy High School closed its doors. Today, its buildings on Marshall and Western Avenues are on the National Register of Historic Places and still in use.