The conservatory at Como Park in St. Paul, which opened on November 7, 1915, is a well-maintained example of a Victorian greenhouse. While many similar “crystal palaces” have been torn down, St. Paul’s conservatory has remained a center for horticulture, recreation, and education for over a century.
Morton gneiss (pronounced “nice”), named for the town in Renville County where it has been quarried, is one of the oldest stones on the planet: about 3.5 billion years old. It is known for its beauty as an ornamental stone in buildings and monuments.
A president of the National Audubon Society (likely John H. Baker) presents a citation to Frances E. Andrews of Minneapolis for her contributions to conservation at the Society's annual dinner in New York City, November 20, 1954. From the Minneapolis Star Tribune portrait collection in the Minnesota Historical Society Library.