Splint made of six pieces of wood nailed together. The splint was used to support the injured leg of Colonel William Colvill at the Battle of Gettysburg on 2 July 1863, during the Civil War. Colvill became the fifth and final colonel of the First Minnesota Volunteer Infantry Regiment on May 6, 1863 and was wounded several times (three times at Gettysburg), leaving him partially disabled for the rest of his life.
In 1898, four hundred members of the Fifteenth Minnesota Volunteer Infantry were hospitalized with typhoid after camping at the Minnesota State Fairgrounds. U.S. Army surgeons decided the epidemic's source was the public water of Minneapolis.