Minnesota Historical Society M-Flame Logo
Black and white photograph of two members of the Mount Sinai Women's Auxiliary posing in the Mount Sinai Hospital gift shop holding a sign advertising greeting cards, c.1954.

Volunteers at Mount Sinai Gift Shop

Two members of the Mount Sinai Women's Auxiliary posing in the Mount Sinai Hospital gift shop holding a sign advertising greeting cards, c.1954. The Mount Sinai Women's Auxiliary formed a year prior to the opening of Mount Sinai Hospital in 1950. The Auxiliary operated the snack shop and gift cart and provided volunteers offering care to participants and family members.

Black and white photograph of luncheon for the Mount Sinai Auxiliary, 1952.

Mount Sinai Auxiliary Luncheon

Luncheon for the Mount Sinai Auxiliary, 1952.

Black and white photograph of Ruth Melamond, Dr. Owen Wangensteen, and Luella Maslon at a Mount Sinai Women's Auxiliary function, 1952.

Ruth Melamond, Dr. Owen Wangensteen, and Luella Maslon

Ruth Melamond, Dr. Owen Wangensteen, and Luella Maslon at a Mount Sinai Women's Auxiliary function, 1952. Dr. Wangensteen of University Hospitals was a supporter of Mount Sinai.

Black and white photograph of Mount Sinai Hospital Association Auxiliary leaders (left to right) Mrs. Louis Gross, Mrs. Charles Penarsky, and Mrs. Sima Meshbesher, 1950.

Mount Sinai Hospital Association Auxiliary leaders

Mount Sinai Hospital Association Auxiliary leaders (left to right) Mrs. Louis Gross, Mrs. Charles Penarsky, and Mrs. Sima Meshbesher, 1950.

Black and white photograph of Dr. Moses Barron, c.1930.

Dr. Moses Barron

Dr. Moses Barron, c.1930. Barron was instrumental in founding Mount Sinai Hospital in Minneapolis.

Black and white photograph of Mount Sinai Hospital, c.1950

Mount Sinai Hospital

Mount Sinai Hospital, c.1950

Mount Sinai Hospital and Foundation, Minneapolis

Mount Sinai Hospital in Minneapolis was among the first private hospitals in the Twin Cities to admit minority doctors on its medical staff. The Jewish community opened the hospital in 1951. By the time Mount Sinai closed in 1991, local hospitals were open to doctors of all races and religions.

Color image of George Powers monument, 2014.

George Powers monument

The tombstone of George Powers, a hospital steward who served with the First Minnesota Heavy Artillery Regiment.

Northeast Neighborhood House, Minneapolis

Constructed in Minneapolis in 1919, the Northeast Neighborhood House (NENH) served both as a portal into American society for newly arrived immigrants from Eastern Europe and as an advocate for the neighborhood's underprivileged. It is a notable example of a social institution created solely for the betterment of the disadvantaged.

Black and white photograph of Dr. Arthur Kilbourne, 1902.

Dr. Arthur Kilbourne

Photograph of Dr. Arthur Kilbourne printed in the February 23, 1902 edition of the St. Paul Globe (page 16).

Pages

Subscribe to RSS - Health and Medicine