Sterling silver Civilian Conservation Corps ring with CCC logo flanked by an eagle and shield on opposing ends. Logo is engraved with "3707/ and "EAF". Worn by Fred Fretheim of Company 3707, Two Harbors, MN, ca. 1936–1937.
The month of March 2008 marked the 75th anniversary of the Civilian Conservation Corps, established March 31, 1933. Curator Matt Anderson commemorates the occasion with a look at CCC pieces in the Minnesota Historical Societys collection.
The U.S. Congress paved the way for the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) when it passed the Emergency Conservation Work (ECW) Act in March 1933, at the height of the Great Depression. This New Deal program offered meaningful work to young men with few employment prospects. It resulted in a lasting legacy of forestry, soil, and water conservation, as well as enhancements to Minnesota's state and national parks.
Florence Rood was one of the first Minnesota women activists in the Farmer Labor movement. She worked to improve the treatment of teachers and was active in their local and national organizations. Many of the successful struggles in which she participated informed the public of the importance of education and laid the groundwork for improved working conditions for educators.