Black and white photograph of the groundbreaking ceremony for the Emanuel Cohen Center at 1701 Oak Park Avenue in Minneapolis, 1939.

Groundbreaking for the Emanuel Cohen Center, 1701 Oak Park Avenue, Minneapolis

Groundbreaking ceremony for the Emanuel Cohen Center at 1701 Oak Park Avenue in Minneapolis, 1939.

Black and white photograph of children being weighed at the Emanuel Cohen Center Clinic in Minneapolis c.1925.

Children being weighed at Emanuel Cohen Center Clinic, Minneapolis

Children being weighed at the Emanuel Cohen Center Clinic in Minneapolis, c.1925.

Sabes Jewish Community Center, Minneapolis

The Sabes Jewish Community Center (JCC) began in 1918 as a community center for immigrant youth on the North Side of Minneapolis. Located in St. Louis Park since the early 1960s, in the twenty-first century the Sabes JCC continues to be a mainstay of Jewish cultural life for the greater Minneapolis community.

Black and white photograph of boxcar chapel in Swede Hollow, 1949.

Boxcar chapel in Swede Hollow, St. Paul; served the Mexican American Community

Boxcar chapel in Swede Hollow, 1949. Mexican Americans were the final immigrant group to call Swede Hollow home. Photograph by St. Paul Dispatch.

American Jewish World Newspaper

Founded in 1912 by Rabbi Samuel Deinard as part of an effort to unify the German and Eastern European Jews of Minnesota, the American Jewish World newspaper celebrated its centennial in 2012.

Black and white photograph of participants in a Dancing Follies event held at St. Paul's Jewish Community Center on October 24, 1949.

Jewish Community Center Dancing Follies

Participants in a Dancing Follies event held at St. Paul's Jewish Community Center on October 24, 1949.

Black and white photograph of the playground at the Jewish Educational Center in St. Paul, 1946.

Playground at the Jewish Educational Center, St. Paul

The playground at the Jewish Educational Center in St. Paul, 1946.

Photograph of a sewing class at the Jewish Educational Center in St. Paul, 1945.

Sewing class at the Jewish Educational Center, St. Paul

A sewing class at the Jewish Educational Center in St. Paul, September 20, 1945. The class was sponsored and staffed by the Jewish Servicemen's Wives Club.

Black and white photograph of two boys playing ping pong at the Jewish Educational Center Annex while a group of children looks on, 1940.

Ping Pong game at the Jewish Educational Center Annex, St. Paul

Two boys playing ping pong at the Jewish Educational Center Annex while a group of children looks on, 1940. In 1936, the J. E. C. annexed an adjacent home to be used for children's groups and arts and crafts classes. The annex was closed in 1940 and activities shifted to Mt. Zion and Temple of Aaron.

Black and white photograph of adults and children walk through the entrance of the J. E. C., c.1940.

Entrance to the Jewish Education Center, St. Paul

Adults and children walk through the entrance of the J. E. C., c.1940. One of the principle founders of the Center, businessman and philanthropist George Kaplan, is at center in the brimmed hat.

Pages

Subscribe to RSS - Religion and Belief