Black and white photograph of Temple Israel, Minneapolis, c.1916.

Temple Israel, Minneapolis, c.1916

Photograph of the third building used by Temple Israel in Minneapolis taken c.1916. The building stood at the corner of Tenth Street and Fifth Avenue. It was built on the same site as the previous Temple Israel building, which was made of wood and burned to the ground in a fire in 1902. The new stone structure pictured was completed the next year, in 1903. This would serve as Temple Israel's home until the dedication of a fourth building in 1928.

Black and white photograph of Samuel Deinard.

Samuel Deinard

Samuel Deinard, c.1905.

Black and white photograph of Temple Israel, Minneapolis, 1890.

Temple Israel, Minneapolis, 1890

Temple Israel at its Tenth Street and Fifth Avenue South location in Minneapolis. Photographed in 1890. The building was constructed in 1888 after the land lease on a previous building expired.

Black and white photograph of Temple Israel, 2324 Emerson Avenue South, Minneapolis, 1963.

Temple Israel, Minneapolis

Temple Israel, 2324 Emerson Avenue South, Minneapolis, 1963. The building was completed in 1928, having been built on top of a Temple House that had served as a location for meetings and classrooms.

Temple Israel, Minneapolis

Minneapolis's oldest synagogue, Temple Israel (originally named Shaarai Tov), was founded in 1878. By 2012, over two thousand member families belonged to the temple, making it one of the largest Jewish congregations in the United States.

Rabbi Herman Cohen and Cantor Maurice Goldberg at a Temple of Aaron memorial service in observance of Tishar B'ab.

Rabbi Herman Cohen and Cantor Maurice Goldberg

Rabbi Herman Cohen and Cantor Maurice Goldberg at a Temple of Aaron memorial service in observance of Tishar B'ab. Photographed in 1942.

Rabbis Herman M. Cohen and Bernard S. Raskas prepare burned sacred articles for burial at the Temple of Aaron fire site, Ashland and Grotto, St. Paul.

Rabbis Herman M. Cohen and Bernard S. Raskas

Rabbis Herman M. Cohen and Bernard S. Raskas prepare burned sacred articles for burial at the Temple of Aaron fire site, Ashland and Grotto, St. Paul. Photographed by a St. Paul newspaper photographer in 1952.

Temple of Aaron, 616 South Mississippi River Boulevard, St. Paul

Temple of Aaron, 616 South Mississippi River Boulevard, St. Paul

Photograph of Temple of Aaron's Mississippi River Boulevard building taken by C.J. Larson c.1956.

Black and white photograph of Sons of Jacob Temple Queens.

Sons of Jacob Temple Queens

Temple Queens Judy Levinsohn, Faye Begam, Robyn Schaffer, and Norma Lechtman post in front of Sons of Jacob Synagogue in St. Paul, 1960.

Black and white photograph of Young Judea convention at Sons of Jacob.

Young Judea convention at Sons of Jacob

Young Judea convention committee members Elaine Handleman, Miryom Arnold, and Stan Kaplan at Sons of Jacob Synagogue in St. Paul, 1956.

Pages

Subscribe to RSS - Religion and Belief