St. Joseph’s Academy traces its origins to 1851, when the first Sisters of St. Joseph opened a school for girls in a log cabin on the banks of the Mississippi. One hundred and twenty years later, the final St. Joseph’s Academy High School closed its doors. Today, its buildings on Marshall and Western Avenues are on the National Register of Historic Places and still in use.
Rabbi Sharon Stiefel and members of Mayim Rabim Congregation in Minneapolis prepare to participate in the Twin Cities Pride Parade, July 30, 2013. Photographed by Carolyn Belle. Used with the permission of Mayim Rabim Congregation.
Mayim Rabim, the only Reconstructionist synagogue in the Twin Cities, was founded in 1992. Its founders were former members of Adath Jeshurun in South Minneapolis. In 2014, the small congregation continues to worship at its original home, the Minneapolis Friends Meetinghouse.
Detail view of a map reproduced in Alfred Andreas's An Illustrated Historical Atlas of the State of Minnesota. Chicago: A.T. Andreas, 1874. The map shows the location of the Belle Prairie Mission relative to Fort Ripley and Little Falls.
Elizabeth Ayer's gravestone at Oakland Cemetery in Little Falls, Minnesota. Elizabeth's son Lyman, his wife Laura Hill Ayer, and his daughter Agnes are buried nearby. Photograph by Linda Louise Bryan, c.2013.
During the period historians call the "Second Great Awakening," publications such as the Missionary Herald inspired young people to dedicate their lives to spreading Christianity. Young Elizabeth Taylor read magazines like this one before devoting herself to mission work. Photograph by Linda Louise Bryan, c.2013.