Minnesota Historical Society M-Flame Logo
Black and white photograph of the playground of the Jewish Sheltering Home for Children in Minneapolis, c.1925.

Playground at the Jewish Sheltering Home for Children

Playground of the Jewish Sheltering Home for Children in Minneapolis, c.1925.

Black and white photograph of a man telling a story to residents of the Jewish Sheltering Home for Children in Minneapolis, c.1925.

Storytelling time at the Jewish Sheltering Home for Children

Man telling a story to residents of the Jewish Sheltering Home for Children in Minneapolis, c.1925.

Black and white photograph of residents of the Jewish Sheltering Home for Children in Minneapolis, c.1925.

Residents of the Jewish Sheltering Home for Children

Residents of the Jewish Sheltering Home for Children in Minneapolis, c.1925.

Jewish Sheltering Home for Children, Minneapolis

Orthodox Jews founded the Jewish Sheltering Home for Children in North Minneapolis in 1918. Their concern was Jewish children who were cared for in non-Jewish foster homes. The founders felt that such children would become estranged from their religion and culture. The Sheltering Home functioned as a Jewish institution through the early 1960s.

Black and white photograph of Dr. George Jacob Gordon, founder of the Minneapolis Talmud Torah and instructor in therapeutics and obstetrics at Hamlin University, c.1935.

Dr. George Jacob Gordon

Dr. George Jacob Gordon, founder of the Minneapolis Talmud Torah and instructor in therapeutics and obstetrics at Hamlin University, c.1935.

Black and white photograph of the interior of the Minneapolis Talmud Torah at 1616 Queen Avenue North in Minneapolis, 1951. Photograph by the Minneapolis Star Journal Tribune.

Minneapolis Talmud Torah interior

Interior of the Minneapolis Talmud Torah at 1616 Queen Avenue North in Minneapolis, 1951. Photograph by the Minneapolis Star Journal Tribune.

Black and white photograph of the exterior of the Minneapolis Talmud Torah at 1616 Queen Avenue North in Minneapolis, 1951. Photograph by the Minneapolis Star Journal Tribune.

Minneapolis Talmud Torah

Exterior of the Minneapolis Talmud Torah at 1616 Queen Avenue North in Minneapolis, 1951. Photograph by the Minneapolis Star Journal Tribune.

Talmud Torah, Minneapolis

For the first half of the twentieth century, the Talmud Torah of Minneapolis had two functions. First, it was a religious school for Jewish youth. Second, it was a community hub. When Minneapolis Jews moved to the suburbs after World War II, the Talmud Torah returned to its original educational purpose.

Black and white photograph of members of the Minneapolis Workmen's Circle, c.1920.

Members of the Workmen's Circle

Members of the Minneapolis Workmen's Circle, c.1920. Forms part of the Sharron and Oren Steinfeldt Photography Collection, Theresa and Paul Berman Upper Midwest Jewish Archives, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis.

Black and white photograph of members of the Minneapolis Workmen's Circle, 1919.

Workmen’s Circle members

Members of the Minneapolis Workmen's Circle pose for a photograph at the Labor Lyceum on the North Side of Minneapolis, 1919. Forms part of the Sharron and Oren Steinfeldt Photography Collection, Theresa and Paul Berman Upper Midwest Jewish Archives, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis.

Pages

Subscribe to RSS - Religion and Belief