As enthusiasm for professional sports grew in Minnesota during the mid-twentieth century, Metropolitan Stadium, designed for baseball, became too small and had too few amenities to continue to attract professional teams. By the early 1970s, Minnesota's teams, seeking greater profits, began to demand a bigger and better venue. The Hubert H. Humphrey Metrodome ("The Dome"), a covered, multi-purpose stadium built in downtown Minneapolis, served this purpose for thirty-one years.
Cone-shaped paper megaphone with a metal mouthpiece, ca.1955–1965. The megaphone reads "Minnesota / Twins" and "Welcome to Metropolitan Stadium / Home of / The Minnesota Twins," and features an illustration of two ball players ("Minnie" and "Paul"), shaking hands across the Mississippi River. The megaphone also includes blank lines for player's autographs and boxes for scores by inning.