The opening of the Duluth Ship Canal in 1871 was a historical turning point for the city of Duluth and the Twin Ports of Duluth and Superior.
Minnesota Brush Electric Company letterhead from 1887, showing the company's electric light mast and generating plant.
Full view of the 257-foot electric light mast at Bridge Square, Minneapolis, c.1884.
While working at Minneapolis's Washburn mills in the late 1870s, William de la Barre became an internationally known hydroelectricity expert and a key player in the development of water power at St. Anthony Falls.
The heated mill pond, or "hot pond," was invented around 1890. This innovation in Minnesota logging made it possible for logging companies to run their sawmills year-round.
Two-part Soo Line lapel pin used by Soo Line employee Herbert Paist
Triangular wooden walking stick capped with a sterling silver floral engraved headpiece used by William de la Barre.
Made possible by the Arts and Cultural Heritage Fund through the vote of Minnesotans on November 4, 2008. Administered by the Minnesota Historical Society.
Minnesota Historical Society • 345 W. Kellogg Blvd., St. Paul, MN 55102-1906 (Map) • 651-259-3000 © .