600 Chestnut Street, Virginia, Minnesota. Photographed by Wikimedia Commons user McGhiever on June 15, 2014. The building was originally used as a depot for the Duluth, Winnipeg & Pacific Railway and was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1913.
The Duluth, Winnipeg and Pacific Railway (DW&P) was a Minnesota railroad that operated between International Falls and Duluth. It connected to the Canadian National at International Falls and to the Northern Pacific at Duluth. As a subsidiary of the Canadian National for almost all of the twentieth century, it moved freight along an artery between the Canadian West and the American Midwest through Minnesota.
On a railroad bridge west of Two Harbors, a DM&IR freight consisting entirely of ore cars, or jennies, is seen being pulled by a powerful Yellowstone type steam locomotive, ca. 1940. The locomotive behind it was the most recent locomotive acquisition at the time of the photo.