Citizens League

Since 1952, the Citizens League has had a major impact on public policies in Minnesota. A group of civic leaders had the idea of inviting leaders from different parts of the community to the table to solve big policy issues. This meant bringing together lawmakers, union leaders, heads of Minnesota companies, and experts from universities and industries. As a group, these experts and leaders would study an issue and then write a research paper they could all agree on. Then they would do the political work required to make their conclusions a reality.

Moving Endion Depot, 1986

Moving Endion Depot, 1986

The old Endion Depot slowly moves west down London Road on June 25, 1986, en route from its original site at the foot of 15th Avenue East to Canal Park.

View of west rear, looking east - Endion Passenger Depot, 1504 South Street, Duluth, St. Louis County, MN

View of west rear, looking east - Endion Passenger Depot, 1504 South Street, Duluth, St. Louis County, MN

View of west rear, looking east - Endion Passenger Depot, 1504 South Street, Duluth, St. Louis County, MN

View of east front, looking northwest - Endion Passenger Depot, 1504 South Street, Duluth, St. Louis County, MN

View of east front, looking northwest - Endion Passenger Depot, 1504 South Street, Duluth, St. Louis County, MN

View of east front, looking northwest - Endion Passenger Depot, 1504 South Street, Duluth, St. Louis County, MN

 Duluth & Iron Range Railroad Locomotive #46 (built in 1888) with log train at Endion Depot.

Duluth & Iron Range Railroad Locomotive #46 (built in 1888) with log train at Endion Depot.

Duluth & Iron Range Railroad Locomotive #46 (built in 1888) with log train at Endion Depot.

Duluth, Missabe and Iron Range Depot, Endion

Admired for its jewel-like character, the Duluth, Missabe and Iron Range depot at Endion was constructed in 1899. The depot was designed by notable Duluth architect I. Vernon Hill, and it is one of the last small passenger depots of its kind.

Northern Pacific Railroad' s colonists reception house, Glyndon.

Northern Pacific Railroad' s colonists reception house, Glyndon.

Northern Pacific Railroad's colonist's reception house, Glyndon, Minnesota, 1876.

The Yeovil Colony

In 1873, George Rodgers led immigrants from southwest England to establish the Yeovil Colony in the Red River Valley on land purchased from the Northern Pacific Railroad. Despite high hopes, the settlement of New Yeovil crumbled soon after it began.

Aerial view of Duluth Lift Bridge, Duluth

Aerial view of Duluth Lift Bridge, Duluth

Aerial view of Duluth Lift Bridge and ship canal, Duluth, c.1960.

Aerial ferry bridge at Duluth

Aerial ferry bridge at Duluth

Aerial ferry bridge over the ship canal at Duluth, 1911. Photographer: Edward Albert Fairbrother.

Pages

Subscribe to RSS - Transportation