Before World War II, operating streetcars was considered a man’s job. A 1916 Twin City Rapid Transit (TCRT) report shows sixty-eight female employees out of a workforce of 4,300, and those few were telephone operators and clerical office workers.
Looking down the Incline at a car stopped at the Fifth-Sixth Street station, 1933.
Looking down the Incline from the top, with a car on the east track and Park Point in the distance, 1930s.
A couple poses in front of the top of the Incline station at Seventh Avenue West and Eighth Street, Duluth, with an Incline car meeting the connecting Highland streetcar, 1926.
Looking up the Incline from Superior Street. The Incline is as it appeared in the period 1911–1939.
View of the Incline and Central Hillside from a grain elevator on Rice's Point, c.1910.
Seventh Avenue West, Duluth
Creator: V. O. Hammon Publishing Company
Looking west across downtown Duluth, with the Incline in profile on the hillside, c.1910.
Creator: Duluth Photo Engraving Company
Looking up the Incline from Superior Street, about 1907. The Incline is at it appeared in the years 1902-1911, with only a single car.
Seventh Avenue West and Superior Street, Duluth
The Beacon Hill Pavilion, c.1892. the pavilion was built at the top of the Incline as an attraction to increase ridership.
Seventh Avenue West and Eighth Street, Duluth
The Duluth Incline as it appeared with two large cars capable of carrying wagons and teams, crossing Fourth Street at Seventh Avenue, 1892.
Seventh Avenue West and Fourth Street, Duluth
Made possible by the Arts and Cultural Heritage Fund through the vote of Minnesotans on November 4, 2008. Administered by the Minnesota Historical Society.
Minnesota Historical Society • 345 W. Kellogg Blvd., St. Paul, MN 55102-1906 (Map) • 651-259-3000 © .