Invitation to the ceremony on February 10, 1991, that reactivated the Thirty-fourth Division. The Forty-seventh “Viking” Infantry Division was redesignated as the Thirty-fourth “Red Bull” Infantry Division—exactly 50 years after the Thirty-fourth was activated for what became World War II. The personnel and organizational structure remained the same; only the name and number was changed. Original invitation held by the Minnesota Military Museum.
Monte Cassino and the Benedictine Monastery, commanding a view of the Rapido Valley and the entrance to the Liri Valley, 1943. Attempts to wrest control from the Germans resulted in 80 percent casualty rates for some of the Thirty-fourth Division’s infantry units. Photograph by the U.S. Army.
“The Red Bull in the Winter Line,” painted by by Donna Neary, c.1988. The painting depicts close-in combat by the First Battalion, 168th Infantry, Thirty-fourth Division, during its five-day assault on Mount Pantano, November 1943. The painting forms part of the National Guard’s Heritage Series at the National Guard Bureau.
American soldiers from the Thirty-fourth Infantry Division march through Tunis in the victory parade on May 20, 1943. Patton complained that “our men do not put up a good show in reviews”; thousands of spectators disagreed, shrieking “Vive l’Amerique” from sidewalks and balconies. Photograph by the U.S. Army.
The first contingent of Thirty-fourth Infantry Division personnel arriving in Belfast, Northern Ireland, on January 25, 1942. Milburn Henke of Hutchinson, Minnesota, was first off the boat. British papers called him the first Yank to land in Europe. Photograph by the U.S. Army.
H.M.T. Strathaird, c.1942. The Strathaird transported the initial elements of the Thirty-fourth Division to Northern Ireland in January 1942. The Thirty-fourth was the first US army division to be sent to the European Theater. Photograph by Oliver Stivers of the 151st Field Artillery.