Fort Ripley in the early 1870s. The somewhat taller structure to the rear left is the newly built hospital and headquarters, which replaced the one that burned down in July 1870. The fort’s three six-pounder brass cannons are pointed at the river.
Brigadier General Eleazar Wheelock Ripley. Fort Ripley is named for this general from the War of 1812. Unsigned engraving from Peterson, Charles, Jacob. Military Heroes of the War of 1812. Philadelphia: William A. Leary & Co., 1849.
Fort Ripley was a nineteenth century army outpost located on the upper Mississippi River in north-central Minnesota. It was situated near government agencies for the Ho-Chunk and Ojibwe. By its very presence, however, the fort spurred immigration into the area by whites.
Minneapolis Civilian Auxiliary button, c.1917. This button was worn by Edward Karow, member of the Minneapolis Civilian Auxiliary. Original button is in the Edward Karow Scrapbooks, 1917–1925, Manuscript Collection, Minnesota Historical Society, St. Paul.
War map of Minneapolis drawn during the Twin Cities Streetcar strike, 1917. The map was likely drawn by Minnesota Home Guard and Minneapolis police commanders. Original map is in the Edward Karow Scrapbooks, 1917–1925, Manuscript Collection, Minnesota Historical Society, St. Paul.