Abandoned Fort Ripley, c.1895. On the left is one of the original officers’ quarters; in the foreground is the hospital and headquarters built to replace the original structure that had burned down in July 1870.
Map of Fort Ripley as surveyed in 1874, showing the ninety square miles of reservation land on the east side of the river and one square mile for the actual post on the west side. The sale of parcels on the east side in 1857, and subsequent annulment of the sale, created legal problems that took twenty years to untangle. (From 46 Congress, 2 session, Senate Reports, no. 196, serial 1893.)
Fort Ripley in the early 1870s. The somewhat taller structure to the rear left is the newly built hospital and headquarters, which replaced the one that burned down in July 1870. The fort’s three six-pounder brass cannons are pointed at the river.
Brigadier General Eleazar Wheelock Ripley. Fort Ripley is named for this general from the War of 1812. Unsigned engraving from Peterson, Charles, Jacob. Military Heroes of the War of 1812. Philadelphia: William A. Leary & Co., 1849.