In August 1872, Julia Sears (1839–1929) was hired to head the Mankato State Normal School. Upon taking the job, she became the first woman to hold such a position of power in a coeducational institution of higher learning in the United States. Her leadership challenged traditional gender roles at teachers’ colleges but led to controversy when the local school board replaced her with a man.
Alice Gustava Smith, better known by her students and readers as Sister Maris Stella, taught English at the College of St. Catherine (now St. Catherine University) in St. Paul for nearly fifty years. During that time she also published books of verse that built her reputation as a skilled and spiritual poet.
Two members of the Mount Sinai Women's Auxiliary posing in the Mount Sinai Hospital gift shop holding a sign advertising greeting cards, c.1954. The Mount Sinai Women's Auxiliary formed a year prior to the opening of Mount Sinai Hospital in 1950. The Auxiliary operated the snack shop and gift cart and provided volunteers offering care to participants and family members.