Mother Benedicta (Sybilla) Riepp was the founder of the Roman Catholic Sisters of the Order of Saint Benedict in North America. During her time as Superior of the first foundation in St. Marys, Pennsylvania, she sent a group of Sisters to St. Cloud, Minnesota, where they began a new convent. This group moved to St. Joseph in 1863. By 1946, Saint Benedict’s Monastery was the largest community of Benedictine Sisters in the world.
Mary Mehegan Hill speaking at a St. Paul event marking the fiftieth anniversary of the First Minnesota Volunteer Infantry Regiment’s departure for Civil War duty, 1911. Hill presented a duplicate of an old Regimental flag to the group.