The Duluth Street Railway hired twenty-one women as streetcar conductors (or "conductresses," as they termed them) in 1918. Some of them posed outside the streetcar barn at Twenty-sixth Avenue West and Superior Street for this photo taken June 21, 1918.
On a railroad bridge west of Two Harbors, a DM&IR freight consisting entirely of ore cars, or jennies, is seen being pulled by a powerful Yellowstone type steam locomotive, ca. 1940. The locomotive behind it was the most recent locomotive acquisition at the time of the photo.