Centro Cultural Chicano table at “Fair of the Heart”

Centro Cultural Chicano table at the Fair of the Heart

Elders represent Centro Cultural Chicano at the Fair of the Heart on September 7, 1986. Held in Minnehaha Park in Minneapolis and organized by the United Way, the event attracted thousands of people. From page 2 of Visiones de la Raza 10, no. 10 (October 1986) in box 1 of the Irene Gomez-Bethke papers, Manuscripts Collection, Minnesota Historical Society, St. Paul.

Brian Coyle’s AIDS Memorial Quilt panel

Brian Coyle’s AIDS Memorial Quilt panel

Brian Coyle’s AIDS Memorial Quilt panel on display at the Livingston Lord Library at Minnesota State University Moorhead. Photograph by Trista Raezer-Stursa, November 30, 2021.

Malchow, Charles W. (1864–1917)

In 1904, Charles W. Malchow was a professor of medicine at Hamline University Medical School who had studied abroad in Germany and England. He had a happy marriage, a medical practice in downtown Minneapolis, and a house near Lake of the Isles. He was young, handsome, successful, and ambitious. Then he went to prison.

Inside front cover of The Sexual Life

Inside front cover of The Sexual Life

Inside front cover of the third edition of Charles Malchow’s The Sexual Life, published by C. V. Mosby Company in 1914. From the collection of, and used with the permission of, Ryan T. Hurt.

Rand House

Rand House

Rand House at Hamline University’s Department of Medicine, 1890s. From the Medical Dial 1, no. 9 (August 1899).

Charles Malchow

Charles Malchow

Charles Malchow around the time of his graduation from Minneapolis College of Physicians and Surgeons, in 1894. From the collection of Ryan T. Hurt.

Raymond William Dowidat in his medical office

Raymond William Dowidat in his medical office

Dr. Raymond William Dowidat in his office in Cologne, Minnesota, February 26, 1939.

Ruth Boynton

Ruth Boynton

Ruth Boynton, ca. 1925.

MN90: Attacking an Epidemic without a Plan

In this segment of MN90: Minnesota History in 90 seconds, Britt Aamodt tells the story of the 1918 influenza epidemic in Minnesota.

Stoneware bottle

Stoneware bottle

Stoneware bottle created between 1846 and 1866. It has been refitted from multiple sherds and was found during excavation of the walled cnclosure behind the sutler's store at Historic Fort Snelling in 1969.

This bottle has a circular seal stamped just below the shoulder. On it the word "SELTERS" surrounds the image of a crowned lion standing on its hind legs. Stamped below this are the words "HERZOGTHUM NASSAU." These marks identify the former contents as mineral water from the Niederselters spring in the Duchy of Nassau, located in the modern state of Hesse Germany. The spring produced naturally carbonated water, and by the late eighteenth century, it was bottled and exported worldwide. By the nineteenth century it was so well known that one of our generic terms for carbonated water—seltzer—derives from Selters. During this period, mineral water was widely regarded as an effective cure for a host of ailments.

Pages

Subscribe to RSS - Health and Medicine