Valley Grove Church, Wheeling Township

In 1862, the Valley Grove Lutheran congregation erected a church made from local quarried limestone in Wheeling Township. By 1894, it had outgrown the original building and built a wooden Gothic Revival edifice seventy-five feet away. Although the congregation disbanded in 1973, the remaining picturesque site and its structures were placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1982.

Valley Grove Church

Valley Grove Church

Valley Grove Church, built in 1862 in Wheeling Township; photographed in 2019. Used with the permission of Rice County Historical Society.

Valley Grove (West) Church

Valley Grove (West) Church

Valley Grove (West) Church, Wheeling Township, 2019. Used with the permission fo Rice County Historical Society.

Valley Grove Church

Valley Grove Church

Valley Grove Church, Wheeling Township, ca. 1910. Used with the permission of the Norwegian-American Historical Association.

Congregation of Valley Grove (West) Church

Congregation of Valley Grove (West) Church

The congregation of Valley Grove Church (West) gathers outside its newly built church in Wheeling Township, 1894. Used with the permission of the Norwegian-American Historical Association.

Confirmation at Valley Grove Church

Confirmation at Valley Grove Church

Confirmation at Valley Grove Church, Wheeling Township, 1888. Rev. N. A. Quammen is seated in the first row, fourth from left. Used with the permission of the Norwegian-American Historical Association.

Two Valley Grove churches

Two Valley Grove churches

The two Valley Grove churches (built in 1862 and 1894, respectively), Nerstrand (Wheeling Township), Minnesota, 2019. Used with the permission of Rice County Historical Society.

Swedish Evangelical Lutheran (Our Savior’s Lutheran Church), Ham Lake. Photograph by Bill Magnuson, 2005.

Swedish Evangelical Lutheran Church

Swedish Evangelical Lutheran (Our Savior’s Lutheran Church), Ham Lake. Photograph by Bill Magnuson, 2005.

This “yard long” photograph was taken at Swedish Evangelical Lutheran Church (Our Savior’s Lutheran Church) on June 28, 1942, on its seventieth anniversary. The reverend at the time was J. E. Sutherland. Photographer unknown. Anoka County Historical Society object ID# P2075.19.84.

Our Savior’s Lutheran Church Anniversary

This “yard long” photograph was taken at Swedish Evangelical Lutheran Church (Our Savior’s Lutheran Church) on June 28, 1942, on its seventieth anniversary. The reverend at the time was J. E. Sutherland. Photographer unknown. Anoka County Historical Society object ID# P2075.19.84.

A side view of the Swedish Evangelical Lutheran Church, (Our Savior’s Lutheran Church), Ham Lake, including part of the cemetery. This image was originally a slide. Photographer and date unknown.

Swedish Evangelical Lutheran Church

A side view of the Swedish Evangelical Lutheran Church, (Our Savior’s Lutheran Church), Ham Lake, including part of the cemetery. This image was originally a slide. Photographer and date unknown.

Pages

Subscribe to RSS - Religion and Belief