The Wanamingo Elevator, c.1950. The community was located on early stagecoach road and wheat trail that linked Red Wing and Kenyon.
In March 1853 Goodhue County was created by Minnesota's territorial legislature. It was formed from the original Wabasha County, which lay between the Mississippi and Missouri Rivers.
The entrance to the village of Pine Island, photographed in the 1920s.
Pine Cheese Mart, a retail sales operation shown here in 1971, preserved Pine Island’s reputation as a cheese-making center.
Photograph of the Pine Island Cheese Factory. In the early twentieth century it was at the heart of Minnesota’s cheese-making industry.
Photograph of Arthur W. Parkin (1872–1963) late in life.
Cheese making in Minnesota took a backseat to milk and butter production during the nineteenth century. In the early 1900s, Arthur Parkin of Pine Island changed that picture.
Photograph of Val Bjornson in front of Wadena County Farm Bureau Building with Joe Langer, Fred Miller and others, c. 1954.
Photograph of the annual banquet of the Minnesota Farm Bureau Federation, Insurance Division held at the Lowery Hotel in St. Paul on January 16, 1950.
Photograph of the St. Louis County Farm Bureau Institute's daily news staff, 1929.
Made possible by the Arts and Cultural Heritage Fund through the vote of Minnesotans on November 4, 2008. Administered by the Minnesota Historical Society.
Minnesota Historical Society • 345 W. Kellogg Blvd., St. Paul, MN 55102-1906 (Map) • 651-259-3000 © .