Black and white photograph of an Agriculture Extension, Short Course in Blacksmithing; men at the forges, 1908.

Agriculture Extension, Short Course

Agriculture Extension, Short Course in Blacksmithing; men at the forges, 1908.

Black and white photograph of an Agriculture Extension, short course in Blacksmithing; women at the forges, 1908.

Agriculture Extension, short course in Blacksmithing

Agriculture Extension, short course in Blacksmithing; women at the forges, 1908.

Black and white photograph of the University of Minnesota, College of Agriculture, St. Paul, ca. 1903.

University of Minnesota, College of Agriculture, St. Paul

University of Minnesota, College of Agriculture, St. Paul, ca. 1903.

Black and white photograph of a Minnesota farm house, ca. 1890.

Minnesota farm house

Minnesota farm house, ca. 1890.

Black and white photograph of Crescent Grange Hall and members, Linwood Township, Anoka County, 1880.

Crescent Grange Hall and members

Crescent Grange Hall and members, Linwood Township, Anoka County, 1880.

Black and white photograph of a butter-making class, University of Minnesota School of Agriculture, 1889.

Butter-making class, University of Minnesota School of Agriculture

Butter-making class, University of Minnesota School of Agriculture, 1889.

Origins of the University of Minnesota Extension Service

The Agricultural Extension Service of the United States (AES) began as an educational component of land-grant universities. In Minnesota as in other states, the federally funded and organized services of AES provide practical agricultural training to people outside of a university setting.

Black and white photograph of the horse barn at the Northwest Experiment Station.

Horse Barn

The horse barn, built in 1902, also had an addition to store buggies and wagons.

Black and white photograph of the poultry house at the Northwest Experiment Station.

Poultry House

In addition to crops, the Northwest Experiment Station worked with livestock, including chicken in the poultry house.

Black and white photograph of the machine shed and elevator on the grounds of the Northwest Experiment Station were built in 1913.

Machine Shed and Elevator

The machine shed and elevator on the grounds of the Northwest Experiment Station were built in 1913.

Pages

Subscribe to RSS - Agriculture