Two members of the Mount Sinai Women's Auxiliary posing in the Mount Sinai Hospital gift shop holding a sign advertising greeting cards, c.1954. The Mount Sinai Women's Auxiliary formed a year prior to the opening of Mount Sinai Hospital in 1950. The Auxiliary operated the snack shop and gift cart and provided volunteers offering care to participants and family members.
Mount Sinai Hospital in Minneapolis was among the first private hospitals in the Twin Cities to admit minority doctors on its medical staff. The Jewish community opened the hospital in 1951. By the time Mount Sinai closed in 1991, local hospitals were open to doctors of all races and religions.
Constructed in Minneapolis in 1919, the Northeast Neighborhood House (NENH) served both as a portal into American society for newly arrived immigrants from Eastern Europe and as an advocate for the neighborhood's underprivileged. It is a notable example of a social institution created solely for the betterment of the disadvantaged.