The Minneapolis, St. Paul and Sault Ste. Marie Railroad, commonly known as the Soo Line from a phonetic spelling of Sault, helped Minnesota farmers and millers prosper by hauling grain directly from Minneapolis to eastern markets.
Thomas Lowry was one of the most influential and admired men in Minneapolis at the time of his death in 1909. Streetcars, railroads, libraries, and many other endeavors benefited from his involvement.
Soo Line wooded boxcars at Shoreham Yards, Central Avenue and Twenty-Eighth, Minneapolis, 1982. Photograph by R. G. Smedley
Enameled steel Soo Line sign from the mid-twentieth century. Manufactured by Vertibrite Signs, Chicago.
Soo Line dining car tray showing map of Soo Line route, 1930s.
Soo Line shops and yard, Minneapolis, c.1925. Photograph by Charles P. Gibson.
Soo Line terminal elevator, Forty-Eighth and Penn Avenues North, Minneapolis, 1923. Photograph by Charles J. Hibbard
Soo Line depot, Pierz, c.1915.
Laying track near Detroit Lakes, Soo Line Railway Company, 1904.
Soo Line railway employee pass, 1901.
Made possible by the Arts and Cultural Heritage Fund through the vote of Minnesotans on November 4, 2008. Administered by the Minnesota Historical Society.
Minnesota Historical Society • 345 W. Kellogg Blvd., St. Paul, MN 55102-1906 (Map) • 651-259-3000 © .